Strengthening Access to Justice and Protection of Rights in Viet Nam
The UN Development Programme (UNDP) and the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) announced today a five-year project that will provide US$ 6.4 million to support MOJ and related justice agencies in strengthening access to justice and rights protection for the poor and vulnerable in Viet Nam.
The project’s activities will support a number of Viet Nam’s key priorities in legal and judicial reform from now until 2014. As well as continuing to support the implementation of the Strategy for the Development of Viet Nam's Legal System to the Year 2010 with vision to 2020 (LSDS), the project will also support the Judicial Reform Steering Committee’s Secretariat to conduct cross-cutting research on implementation of the Judicial Reform Strategy to 2020 (JRS). As part of the project, greater partnership and aid coordination between government, donors and social organizations will ensure better alignment of donor support to these important reform agendas. The project is being funded by bilateral donors through the One Plan Fund.
What are the project's key results?
Key expected outputs:
• A review of the first five years’ of implementing the LSDS, so as to define the priorities for the decade to come;
• Greater aid effectiveness and deepening of existing policy dialogue through the Legal Partnership Forum;
• A new vision for the state’s role in the justice sector, in line with Viet Nam’s evolving socio-economic context, the progress towards a rule-of-law state and greater international integration;
• A strategy on legal empowerment of the poor, so that legal reforms play their part in poverty reduction strategies and strengthen access to justice for the poor and disadvantaged;
• Better implementation of Viet Nam’s international human rights commitments though domestic law, and better monitoring of the implementation of laws;
• Comparative research on the main tasks of judicial reform, including reorganization of the court system and other justice bodies, the reform of judicial appointments and training, and independence of adjudication in trials; and
• Support to local and national initiatives and experiments in judicial reform.
Finance, Executing and Implementing Agency
|Project Number||Funding||Executing Agency||Implementing Agency|
|58492||TRAC, One UN Fund (OPF)||Ministry of Justice|
Delivery in Previous Fiscal Year
- Project start date
- 5 years
- Geographic coverage
- Viet Nam
- Focus area
- Democratic Governance
- UNDP Programme officer
- Ms. Le Nam Huong; email@example.com; Tel: (84 4) 3942 1495 ext.103
- Mr. Hoang The Lien; firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: (84 4) 3734 0104