Strengthening the capacities for budgetary decision and oversight of people’s elected bodies in Viet Nam
UNDP started its cooperation with the Committee on Financial and Budgetary Affairs in early 2000. In the first phase of the project impact was made in relation to the development of legal and institutional frameworks and revision of working procedures. The current project will continue to support deliberative bodies involved in state budget decisions and oversight following reforms in the Constitution and the Law on State Budget. The project focuses on three main components: vision and development strategy for public finance management and oversight; strengthening the capacity of National Assembly institutions and support staff involved with state budget decisions and oversight; and strengthening capacity of provincial People’s Councils and support staff involved with state budget decisions and oversight.
The main beneficiaries of the project include the Committee on Financial and Budgetary Affairs, budget-related National Assembly’s institutions, as well as twenty provincial People’s Councils and their support staff. Indirect beneficiaries include executive agencies related to budgetary issues such as the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Planning and Investment, the State Audit; non-governmental civil organizations and media agencies.
What are the project's key results?
- Long-term vision and development strategy for public finance management and oversight with a focus on the state budget developed, satisfying requirements for fiscal transparency, broad social participation and conformity with international practices.
- An oversight/evaluation system and measurement indicators to facilitate the budget decision process and oversight for guiding activities of the National Assembly and provincial People’s Councils developed.
- Methods and quality of budget decision and oversight of the National Assembly reformed and improved.
- Methods and quality of budget decision and oversight of pilot provincial People’s Council reformed and improved.
Finance, Executing and Implementing Agency
|Project Number||Funding||Executing Agency||Implementing Agency|
|00050739||USD 5,242,824 (including UN funding of USD 5,000,000 and Government of Viet Nam of USD 242,824)||National Assembly Committee on Financial and Budgetary Affairs||National Assembly Committee on Financial and Budgetary Affairs|
Delivery in Previous Fiscal Year
- Project start date
- 48 months (2009 – 2012)
- Geographic coverage
- 20 selected provinces
- Focus area
- Democratic Governance
- UNDP Programme officer
- Ms. Bui Phuong Tra; firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: (84 4) 3942 1495 ext. 237
- Mr. Dinh Van Nha; email@example.com; Tel: (84 4) 08048157