Strengthening Sustainable Development and Climate Planning
Key results 2009:
During the course of 2009 the project commenced operations. During the inception phase and initial roll out the following activities were implemented:
1. Inception report finished and agreed upon; the inception report laid out the conceptual framework for the project;
2. Initiated an assessment on impacts of mainstreaming sustainable development in the Social Economic Development Plan 2006-2010;
3. Agreed and develop a priority agenda of 8 priority issues which MPI is facing and need to be addressed by the project;
4. Organized a Policy Dialogue with international donors on financial mechanism to support Sustainable Development and Climate Change Responses;
5. Organized a Policy Update for senior staff of the Party Central Office on “Sustainable Development and Climate Change”.
Key results 2010:
2010 was the first year the project was fully operational. The project supported the planning sector to engage in the climate change debate
1. Organized a high level multi stakeholder seminar on climate change mainstreaming into the SEDP 2011-2015 which involved key donors, line ministries, international NGOs and National centers of Science. The seminar resulted in concrete recommendation which have been submitted to the SEDP drafting committee;
2. A study tour to the United Kingdom and the Netherlands was organized for MPI decision makers and policy makers. The study tours focused on the institutional aspects of sustainable development, a comparison between a Sustainable Environmental Assessment and Sustainability Assessment tools, mainstreaming of climate change in SEA/SA and renewable energy aspects of sustainable development;
3. The development of an MPI Information, Education and Communication strategy which aims at strengthen capacity and improving access to information on climate change and climate change mainstreaming in sustainable development and development planning at various levels within the planning sector in Vietnam;
4. Initiated a number of studies including: i) Climate change financing and how to best apply lessons learnt of Development Assistance Financing in make most efficient use of climate change financing; ii) A strategic environmental and climate change review for the five year socio-economic development plan 2011-2015; iii) Study on the SEA plus Tools to appraise the sustainability of the development planning project; iv) Research and review of policies, regulations in the planning process at national and regional levels and propose for improving institutions; v) Overall research on process and procedures to integrate Climate Change into Annual Socio-economic Development Plans;
5. Completed training needs assessment for development of training curricular and institutional study to enhance the capacity of the Central highland committee. This involves amongst others the engagement of UN REDD, aiming at strengthening efforts to mainstream sustainable development and climate change into the development planning agenda of the region;
6. In close collaboration with the National Assembly, the project organized two Policy Update Workshops between National Assembly representatives, local government officials and scientists. Around 30% of the 120 or so participants were women. The meetings were organized for Northern Provinces in Hai Phong, and Nha Trang;
7. Support the SD office in promoting the network of specialists/experts in the SD field and facilitate the discussions and working sessions on SD related issues and the National Action Plan on SD and technical inputs to prepare for the 3rd National SD Conference.
In addition, project works together with other CC related project on mainstreaming climate change and disaster risk reduction into SEA guidelines and development planning processes, policy briefs on key climate changed developments and training of staff at various levels has been initiated.
What are the project's key results?
The project centers around improving mechanisms, strengthen the knowledge, enhance capacity and improve coordinations. Climate change is perceived as integral to achieving sustainable development goals. Thus, fhe following four This will be achieved through the following four outputs:
1. Output 1: GoV agencies implementing agreed mechanism for integrating sustainable development and climate change into national social and economic plans and investment (mechanism)
Targets: SD&CC targets incorporated into national five-year plan 2011-2015 and provinces begin to use same target indicators as well as mainstreaming efforts as part of the international policy debate are supported. A multi-stakeholder endorsed SEDP has been developed that incorporates status and trends of SD and identifies ways & means to address reductions in GHG emissions and climate resilience/adaptation in geo-spatial and temporal scales.
2. Output 2: Decision-makers and public equipped with knowledge and tools to change behavior on SD and CC/energy (knowledge)
Targets: By end of project, 150 central-level and 500 provincial-level officials are trained, MPI has firm understanding of SEA plus tools and formulates strategy for applying SEA plus in all national, provincial & sectoral plans, By end of 2011, MPI/DPI staff trained in SEA plus tools at regional & provincial scales, GoV has 10 high quality research studies to enact sound SD&CC policies toward a low carbon & climate resilient national economy
3. Output 3: Strengthened capacity for sustainable development planning, including climate change (Improved capacity)
Targets: By end of project 10 policy briefs developed & shared with decision-makers & their staff, 50 staff who support decision-makers at CPV, ministerial and provincial levels (in 15 provinces) are trained on leading SD&CC topics (related to research topics & policy recommendations). MPI staff who can serve as Training of-Trainers receive scholarships & professional certificates from accredited overseas study programs (e.g., 2-6 week trainings).
4. Output 4: More effective coordinated institutional framework for sustainable development and climate change/energy (Improved Coordination)
Targets: Institutional frameworks & coordination among & between donors, investors & MPI strengthened to support achievements in real SD&CC/energy policies & targets (e.g., NTP-RCC and NTP-Energy); NCSD becomes a forum to share best practices and incubate sound SD policies nationally; By end of project, at least one region has embraced SD coordination framework (i.e., RCSD for Central Highlands).
Finance, Executing and Implementing Agency
|Project Number||Funding||Executing Agency||Implementing Agency|
|00070239||Total budget is US$3,600,000||Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI)||Department of Science, Education, Natural resources and Environment (DSENRE)|
Delivery in Previous Fiscal Year