Global conference on the UN's pilot 'Delivering as One" approach opens in Ha Noi
An international gathering on UN reform efforts at the country level – the High-Level Tripartite Conference on Delivering as One: Lessons from Country-led Evaluations and Way Forward – is taking place in Ha Noi from 14-16 June. The event brings together over 260 participants from eight countries piloting the ‘Delivering as One’ approach, eight countries having voluntary adopted the Delivering as One approach, seven countries that were invited to exchange experiences, 22 countries that have funded and are interested in the UN reform process, and delegates from the UN, international organizations and diplomatic missions in Viet Nam.
During the meeting, participants will share the findings and conclusions from the Country-Led Evaluations of the experiences drawn from pilot countries. Based on the lessons learned, the conference will set out an agenda for further actions required to enhance, deepen and expand the ‘Delivering as One’ approach. The conference is also a forum to communicate to donors the progress, as well as challenges, in adopting the 'Delivering as One' approach.
In 2007, eight countries (Albania, Cape Verde, Pakistan, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uruguay and Viet Nam) agreed to become ‘Delivering as One’ pilots in an effort to improve the coherence, effectiveness and relevance of the United Nations system. Both pilot countries and UN country teams took on an ambitious task: to be the first to implement changes and demonstrate the benefits of closely coordinated actions across different UN agencies supporting each country. The ‘Delivering as One’ approach has since been voluntarily adopted by a growing number of other countries, and tremendous commitment and energy has gone into making this element of UN reform a reality.
The High-Level Tripartite Conference in Ha Noi reflects the commitment of the Government of Viet Nam to collaborate with the UN in promoting a more coherent, effective and efficient UN at the country level.
The High Level Tripartite Conference officially opened on 14 June under the chair of Mr Nguyen The Phuong, Vice-Minister for the Ministry of Planning and Investment of the Government of Viet Nam, and the Chair of the UN Development Group, Ms. Helen Clark. Pilot countries will present and share findings, lessons learnt and conclusions from country-led evaluations.
With five main pillars of the 'Delivering as One' initiative - One Plan/ One Programme; One Fund; One Set of Management Practices/One House; One Leader and One Voice - participants will take part in parallel thematic workshops on 15 June with a view to adopting an action agenda for further improvements in implementing these pillars in pilot countries, as well in voluntary countries.
The themes are:
- National ownership and leadership and coherence of the contribution of the UN system;
- Responsiveness of the UN system to national needs and priorities;
- Effectiveness of the UN system;
- Business practices; and
On Wednesday 16 June, the Opening Ceremony of the High Level segment of the conference is expected to be attended by His Excellency Mr. Nguyen Tan Dung, Prime Minister of Viet Nam; Minister of Planning and Investment, Mr Vo Hong Phuc; the United Nations Deputy Secretary General, Ms. Asha Rose Migiro, and high level leaders from other countries, national and international organizations.
The conference is expected to arrive at Ha Noi Statement charting a clear way forward for the “Delivering as One” initiative, reiterating the commitment of the Governments of the pilot countries; countries voluntarily adopting 'Delivering as One' approach; donors and the UN system to further action in ensuring that the UN development system delivers more effectively as one at the country level.
Click here to download the official conference press release in English or Vietnamese
Click here to visit the offical conference website
Click here for the Opening Remarks of the UN Development Group Chair, Helen Clark
Click here to download the Vietnam 2010 Country-Led Evalauation (CLE) presentation made at the conference in English or Vietnamese
Click here to download the Executive Summary of the Vietnam 2010 Country-Led Evalauation (CLE)
- Meet Josephine, a courageous Ebola survivor who lost 29 loved ones to the outbreak of the disease in Liberia. After the crisis she adopted six children that lost their families to the epidemic as well. Global health crises like this one can undo years of development work. That's why Goal 17, partnerships for the Goals, is so important. Only a strong coalition of partners with a coordinated approach can contain these emergencies and help communities recover from the long-term impact. #GlobalGoals | #Pandas4GlobalGoals 35 minutes ago
- 👉 http://bit.ly/1wJtDcD - Interested in climate change? Take the UN CC:Learn e-course! It's free, self-paced and takes only 6 x 2 hours! - Vous voulez en apprendre davantage sur les changements climatiques? Essayez le cours en ligne UN CC:Learn! C'est gratuit, vous pouvez le suivre à votre propre rythme, et ne prend pas plus de 6 X 2 heures! - Interesado en el Cambio Climático? Haz el curso de autoaprendizaje en línea de UN CC:Learn! Es gratis, y sólo lleva 6x2 horas! #climatechange #UN #online #free #ecourse #MOOC #environment #COP21 #COP22 #climateaction #actionclimate #parisagreement #cambioclimático #changementclimatique #education #forestry #cities #health #finance #policy #learn UNITAR UN Geneva United Nations UNEP UN-REDD Programme (FAO/UNDP/UNEP) United Nations Development Programme - UNDP World Health Organization (WHO) UN-HABITAT Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) UNFCCC UN CC:Learn 5 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook