Viet Nam increases commitment on Human Rights
Ha Noi - A key project to help Viet Nam meet its human rights obligations was launched in Hanoi today. Over the next 3 and half years the $1.2 million joint Government and UN project will help line Ministries understand their human rights duties and improve the ability to report on progress.
What’s been done?
In recent years the Vietnamese government has visibly increased its commitment to address human rights issues, as demonstrated in a number of legal and judicial reforms, and Constitutional revisions that have steadily improved human and citizen rights. Viet Nam is also increasing its participation in regional and international human rights mechanisms, becoming party to five core international human rights treaties, signing the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
In six months’ time, Viet Nam will undergo its second Universal Periodic Review (UPR), a unique peer review mechanism, at the Human Rights Council. The UPR places members states on an equal footing, and provides an opportunity for Governments to report on the human rights situation, and progress in implementing UPR recommendations accepted at the last review in 2009.
Four special rapporteurs have visited Viet Nam since 2010 with another coming by the end of this year.
Over 3 years the project will help strengthen Viet Nam’s awareness and capacity of implementing human rights obligations, and improve engagement with regional and international human rights mechanisms with for example activities related to the ratification of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability. The project will also support an innovative online consultation with citizens on the draft UPR report, which will be posted on the project website www.mofa.gov.vn/humanrights. This will be followed by a national consultation workshop later on this summer before the Government’s report is being submitted to the Human Rights Council in autumn this year.
- Please consult the press release and the speech of the project launch.
- Please find the information related to the draft national UPR (Vietnamese version) here
- Citizens are invited to comment and to send their inputs to the e-mail address on the project website
- Get ready for the school year and learn about the UN by watching The United Nations Quiz on YouTube!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqDT6RkdjWk 56 minutes ago
- Découvrez les nouvelles innovations dans le domaine de l'éducation en Haiti. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2hnlKlE5ws about an hour ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook