National Assembly gets international insights for considering the draft revised Environment Law
Ha Noi - Members of the National Assembly as well as the steering committee and the drafting team of the Law on Environmental Protection revision got more information and international experiences on practical laws at a workshop jointly held in Ha Noi on 18 February 2014 by the National Assembly Committee of Science, Technology and Environment (CSTE) and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) with support from the UN Development Programme (UNDP).
Discussion at the workshop focused on four issues, including environmental protection planning; environmental protection in the context of climate change; legislative base for environmental dispute or environmental pollution settlement; and obligations under International Conventions on management of toxic chemicals and hazardous waste, including import waste management. In particular, participants in the workshop listened to and discussed insights on formulating and implementing environmental legislation in Indonesia and China were shared and discussed at the workshop.
During the workshop, Mr Bakhodir Burkhanov, UNDP Deputy Country Director, commended Viet Nam for the inclusion of separate chapters on civil society organizations and climate change in the draft Law on Environmental Protection. “While the draft law recognizes the general rights and responsibilities of civil society organizations and local communities in environmental protection, the Law should enable active participation of citizens and people’s organizations in environmental impact assessment as well as monitoring environmental pollution,” he noted.
“Today’s workshop has provided the information that the National Assembly’s is interested in,” said Mr Pham Xuan Dung, Chairman of CSTE. He added that at the upcoming meeting of the NA Standing Committee on 27 February, CSTE would be asked to report on the Environment Law related issues for consideration, CSTE therefore needs to have opinions from various perspectives. “CSTE appreciate international and national experts for your valuable opinions,” he said.
- Please read:
- UNDP opening speech
- Environmental Planning or Environmental Protection Planning: from international experience to potential application in Viet Nam
- Environmental Protection in the context of Climate Change (by Mr. Tran Thuc and by Koos Neefjes)
- Legislative base for Environmental Dispute or Environmental Pollution Settlement: an Indonesian practice
- Gorgeous fight song, no instruments. We also spy #HeforShe 's Jaime King and United Nations Development Programme - UNDP 's Connie Britton. #2030NOW #Wipolitics about an hour ago
- #SDG10: REDUCED INEQUALITIES - 09 days to Rio 2016 (português abaixo) "Before coming to Brazil, I did not see myself as a privileged person, eventhough I was. One day, working with young people from disadvantaged communities, one of them placed himself like a privileged person because his mother have raised alone six children with only a minimum wage and guided him on the right track. Part of me believed that all I had won was by my own, but at that moment I realized how much I was privileged. Society is so used to 'having' that forgets a little bit of 'being' - which, in fact, is what fulfill us." – Maria Sol Durán, 30 years old ---- #ODS10: REDUÇÃO DAS DESIGUALDADES - 09 dias para as OlimpíadasBrasil2016 "Antes de vir para o Brasil, eu não me enxergava como uma pessoa privilegiada, embora fosse. Então um dia, num trabalho com jovens de comunidades carentes, um deles se colocou como privilegiado porque sua mãe, sozinha, havia criado seis filhos com apenas um salário mínimo e o orientou a seguir por um caminho bom. Uma parte de mim acreditava que tudo o que eu tinha conquistado era mérito próprio, mas, naquele momento, percebi o quanto era privilegiada. A sociedade está tão acostumada ao ‘ter’ que esquece um pouco do ‘ser’ – o que, na realidade, é aquilo que nos completa." – Maria Sol Durán, 30 anos #HumansOfRio #MorroDoBorel #HumansOfMyWorld #Rio2016 PNUD Brasil United Nations Development Programme - UNDP UNDP in Latin America and the Caribbean ONU Brasil United Nations SDG Action Campaign 7 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook