UNDP empowers low-income countries to find way through climate finance maze
New York —The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) today launched a guidebook on “Catalysing Climate Finance”, advising decision makers in developing countries how to tap into growing environmental finance markets.
The guidebook draws on UNDP’s experience managing one-thousand multimillion dollar climate projects in 140 countries during the last two decades. It contains a step-by-step guidance for identification and implementation of an optimal mix of public policies and funding instruments to raise climate finance.
The report is being offered at a critical moment, when new sources of public finance, such as a Green Climate Fund, are being established or becoming available.
“In the absence of effective capacity building and appropriate advisory services, there’s a significant risk that only a few emerging economies will fully benefit from these positive developments,” said Rebeca Grynspan, UNDP Associate Administrator. “By some estimates around 90 percent of investments in clean energy go to G20 countries and the remaining 10 percent go to the rest of the world.”
Between 2009 and 2010, clean energy sector investments worldwide grew 30 percent to a record US$243 billion. Only about one tenth of investments went into developing economies, which could benefit from greener, less carbon-intensive growth.
Most governments lack the knowledge and capacity to enter the complex and highly technical climate finance landscape where more than 6,000 equity funds and scores of international public funds and carbon markets are active.
“UNDP’s global presence, expertise in capacity building, and extensive development finance experience allow us to help countries in this process, by supporting them to develop capacities to attract and drive investments towards sustainable human development,” said Rebeca Grynspan.
The governments of developing countries face three major challenges when planning a green, low-emission and climate resilient future: gaining access to new and innovative climate finance sources; creating links between climate change strategies and national development objectives; and identifying how to use limited public finance resources to attract private capital.
“Without doubt public funding is a key element in this equation, alone it will be insufficient to transform economies,” said Rebeca Grynspan. “It needs to play a critical role in creating an environment conducive to catalysing larger scale investment.”
You can download the guidebook here
UNDP is the UN’s global network to help people meet their development needs and build a better life. We are on the ground in 166 countries, working as a trusted partner with governments, civil society and the private sector to help them build their own solutions to global and national development challenges. Further information can be found at www.undp.org. Follow us on twitter and facebook
Stanislav Saling, Tel.: +1 212 906 5296; email@example.com
- Coffee farming is helping indigenous people in the #Philippines to protect the environment, preserve their ancestral lands and secure their financial future. In 2015, Coffee For Peace won UNDP's N-Peace Award which "identifies and celebrates the power of women as agents of change, focusing on making visible the untold stories of women leaders and their male allies." Coffee For Peace began eight years ago on the southern island of Mindanao, where Islamic rebel groups have been fighting for self-determination for decades. It has since expanded to other conflict areas in the country. N-Peace Awards United Nations Development Programme - UNDP #GlobalGoals #GlobalGoals 7 hours ago
- #SDG1 No Poverty #SDG2 No Hunger #SDG13 Climate Action As a method to reduce poverty, inequality and to support the most marginalized, Social Protection systems are recognized solutions for the achievement of the #2030Agenda for Sustainable Development under the theme Ensuring that No One is Left Behind. For policies and programs on social protection, environmental issues must also be consider: http://bit.ly/2bJKJl3 #SDGs #Agenda2030 #SP4SD United Nations Development Programme - UNDP Programa das Nações Unidas para o Desenvolvimento - PNUD Brasil African Union 16 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook