Follow-up and support to the implementation of Vietnam’s Universal Periodic Review recommendations: Increasing Vietnam’s human rights capacities
This project aims to address and fill Vietnam’s capacity gaps in the area of human rights, so as to allow Vietnam to play a more active role in international and regional human rights mechanisms and to more effectively implement human rights obligations at national level.
The project will therefore provide access to human rights expertise and knowledge, support the generation of human rights information, monitoring and evaluation, and look to support the standardization of treaty body reporting.
The primary beneficiaries of the project are officials within MOFA and other line ministries, parliamentarians and research institutions. A particular emphasis will be paid on conducting activities across Ministries to avoid human rights being taken on as a responsibility by one Ministry only. The long-term objectives of the project are to improve Viet Nam’s engagement with regional and international human rights mechanisms and implementation international conventions and its human rights obligations. Officials will gain insights into workings and functioning of the Human Rights Council, the UPR, treaty bodies and treaty reporting. Viet Nam will engage closely with HRC, UN treaty bodies, AICHR and more human rights data will be available and used by officials. As a follow-up to the first UPR review in 2008, the UPR government’s report will be compiled with the engagement of a variety of Ministries and officials will be more are aware of their roles and functions in following up UPR recommendations. Working on the CRPD, the Disability Convention will be, to some extent, harmonised with national law and close to ratification and research will be available that supports Vietnam’s generation of human rights information.
What are the project's key results?
Output 1: Strengthened awareness and capacity for improved engagement with regional and international human rights mechanisms
- Awareness and knowledge of Vietnamese officials and other beneficiaries about international and regional human rights mechanisms is increased
- Collaboration with and participation in UN Human Rights Council is intensified, including cooperation with Special Procedures
- Collaboration with and participation in ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR) is intensified
Output 2: Institutional support to Vietnam’s national human rights system
- Content and process for generating human rights information relevant for treaty body reports and other human rights mechanisms is improved; the implementation and the follow-up process to treaty body’s concluding observations, Special Rapporteur’s and UPR recommendations is improved
- Disability and Migration Conventions are, to some extent, harmonised with national law and close to ratification
- A human rights research agenda and creation of relevant human rights research is fostered
Finance, Executing and Implementing Agency
|Project Number||Funding||Executing Agency||Implementing Agency|
|00073304||UNDP||Ministry of Foreign Affairs
||Department for International Organisations|
Delivery in Previous Fiscal Year