The project responds to an initial written request from Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) to UNDP to work with ADB to develop stronger coordinated support to build the resilience of farmers in areas covered by the WEIDAP project. The Concept Note was shared with MARD and ADB to ensure complementarity of the two
projects at the onset. MPI as NDA for GCF proposal, was also routinely briefed on the progress of the proposal development. Multi-stakeholder consultations with senior government stakeholders at central and local level, key multi-lateral and UN partners, particularly the Asian Development Bank, civil society organizations and vulnerable groups of poor/near poor, ethnic and women-headed households have been conducted during the feasibility study and proposal development.
Key consultation meetings for the FS/Proposal development include:
- Scoping mission to Central Highland region: August 2017 and to South Central Coastal region: September
- Consultation meeting with MARD departments and ADB on 19 October 2017
- 14 consultations with NGOs and international donors, two with private sector entities, 15 with DARDs,
districts and communes, and 10 with farmer groups in Dak Lak, Dak Nong, Binh Thuan, Ninh Thuan, and Khanh Hoa, to collect information on vulnerability to climate change; priorities and needs; current projects and programs on climate change adaptation; poverty reduction; ethnic minorities’ support; sustainable
agriculture development; and gaps and recommendations.
- Field consultation mission to Dak Lak, Dak Nong and Ninh Thuan for feedback on the Concept Note and to collect further information on gender equality, ethnic minority engagement, irrigation technologies and access to information (16-20 January 2018)
- Field consultation mission on Economic and Social & Environmental Safeguards with participation of BRH experts to collect further information on ethnic issues and engagement, traditional political/leadership structures, land ownership, etc. The mission took place in Ninh Thuan from 3-4 April 2018 as part of BRH
mission to Viet Nam to meet/consult with different stakeholders (MPI, MARD, ADB, CERDA – GCF observer organisation)
- Final consultation mission to the five target provinces to consult with local authorities and households on proposed CRA packages and pond O&M plan (3-10 May 2018).
- Final technical meeting with CPO and five DARD representatives to update/consult final project design, clarify co-financing requirements and next steps
- Validation workshop in September 2018 with participation of all stakeholders (relevant ministries, five DARDs, CSOs, research institutes, development partners, ADB, UN agencies)