Support to Implementation of Vietnam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020, Vision to 2030
The project, building on the success of the project “Support to Socio-Economic Development Monitoring” 2005-2011 supported by UNDP, aims to support the Viet Nam’s Statistics System (VSS) in implementing the Viet Nam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020, Vision to 2030 (VSDS). Specifically, the project focuses on improvement of the statistical legal framework, coordination mechanism of stakeholders in the VSS, data dissemination, statistical methodology and techniques in some prioritized fields, and M&E of the progress of implementing the VSDS.
What are the project's key results?
- The Statistics Law 2003 revised and a Decree and/or under-law documents regulating and guiding in details the implementation of (provisions of) the revised Statistics Law formulated and issued in conformation with international standards/practices, with high feasibility, and via a wide consultation process.
- Inspection capacity in statistical area improved to ensure the implementation of the revised Statistics Law and its under-law documents.
- Awareness and knowledge of the Statistics Law and under-law documents of leaders and staff in statistical offices, policy making and inspection/supervision agencies, and community improved and applied to the implementation of the Statistics Law.
- Systems, organizational structures, regulations, and mechanisms strengthened for statistical information sharing (statistical reports, administrative records and surveys) within GSO, within the GSO vertical system, among sectoral statistical organizations, and between sectoral statistical organizations and GSO.
- Data dissemination policy improved and regularly updated to provide guidance for disseminating products of the VSS, strengthen data users’ access to statistical information in an adequate and timely manner15.
- The National Statistical Information Center16 at GSO developed and evolved from the focal point unit who managing data at GSO in order to gather, store, share and disseminate socio-economic statistical data collected by GSO and other data producers/providers to satisfy data demands of all data users.
- Data warehouses (from statistical reports, administrative records, and censuses/surveys, etc conducted by GSO and inistries/agencies) (i) developed with regular updating and clear management and using mechanisms; and (ii) aggregated into the national data warehouse to serve data users. National data warehouse (including datamarts) run by the National Statistical Information Center to provide data in a consistent and systematic manner to facilitate data access.
- Mechanisms and tools for strengthening two-way dialogues between data producers and data users developed and improved to enhance capacity of data producers in meeting data users’ needs
- National statistical indicator system and statistical reporting system reviewed and updated regularly. Reporting system for the National Statistical Indicator on Gender Development developed and improved.
- National statistical survey program reviewed and updated, and a standard survey procedure17 developed and issued for consistent application to avoid duplication and ensure the quality and timeliness of surveys.
- Master sample frame for household surveys developed to be used as a basis for improving sample selection of some large household surveys in order to (i) minimize the costs spent on developing survey frames for household sample surveys and facilitate the connection of information among the surveys and (ii) more sufficiently and comprehensively collect data on population groups, especially migrants without residence, temporary (nomadic population), or workers in the informal sector; and (iii) be used as a basis for developing a digital map for sample selection and statistical surveys.
- Questionnaires of some large surveys reviewed and improved to provide reliable, international-standard information which best meets data users’ needs
- SNA 2008 by international standard applied, and capacity of development and analysis of Input-Ouput (IO) Table improved.
- Inter-agency statistical coordination model/mechanism developed, approved and operated.
- A joint mechanism (between GSO and development partners) supporting the implementation of VSDS and its action plans established and operated effectively.
- The capacity of monitoring and evaluating the implementation of VSDS and its action plans enhanced.
- Baseline assessment and mid-term review of the implementation of VSDS carried out to provide information for measuring progress against goals, identifying problems to be addressed in a timely manner, and drawing lessons from the implementation to ensure effective implementation of VSDS.
Finance, Executing and Implementing Agency
|Project Number||Funding||Executing Agency||Implementing Agency|
|68992||3.3 million USD||Ministry of Planning and Investment||General Statistical Office|